Monday, September 17, 2007

Superbad

I read a review of the movie, "Superbad", by Stephen Farber. I found it on www.rottentomatoes.com, and it was a “squashed” review. I have yet to see Superbad, but from all other sources, excluding this one, I have heard that it is amazing! Stephen Farber says that;

Some of the patter is funny, but the movie lacks the clever plot developments
and the character nuances of a classic like "American Graffiti."


This would be a problem for me because I cannot stand films that do not have a well thought out plot development, and that just run in circles until the end of the credits.

Stephen Farber claims at two different points during his review that “Superbad” will only appeal to a young male audience:

It's the script that brings the movie down. Guys who are the same age as the
characters will whoop it up, but the film won't reach beyond that young male
demographic, as "Knocked Up" and "Virgin" managed to do. Because it obviously
was made on a low budget, "Superbad" will make money for Sony, but don't expect
it to have much shelf life after the kids are back in school.


And then later he states that;
"Superbad" is stuck in a state of male arrested development, just like the
characters. The movie's low budget shows in rather primitive technical credits.
The super-cheap "Superbad" will get laughs from undemanding kids, but it doesn't
come close to transcending its dimwitted genre.

I disagree with this because I know many girls who absolutely loved this movie, and returned to overpriced movie theaters to see it over and over again.

Although this review was not in favor of the film “Superbad” it does not, however, have a great effect on my desire to see, or to not see the film. I still think that I would enjoy it a lot, and cannot wait until I get an opportunity to see it.

2 comments:

justchill896 said...

haha artsy, huh? i guess am an artsy kind of person :) which reminds me... your painting. i'm so bad at stuff like this, por favor disculpame! forgive me. but hey, this is a serious matter: art of film... concentrate, c'mon susie! i liked your journal! really expressive, even though i haven't seen superbad

Mr. K said...

Caitlin: Nice job poking holes in the "it's just for guys" argument -- well-played. I'd like to see you do a bit more of that -- there were a lot of quotes from the critic, but I wanted to hear more of your voice.